A guide to trusted, advanced prosthetics to preserve damaged teeth and fill gaps in your smile
For over 40 years, Dr. Martin Orro of Martin Orro DDS, has supported the health and beauty of patients’ smiles across Lancaster, California, and surrounding communities in the Antelope Valley area. When the teeth, gums, or other mouth structures are damaged and cannot be treated effectively with hygiene alone, Dr. Orro may recommend prosthetics.
Prosthetics in dentistry
When teeth and other oral tissues are deteriorated or lost due to disease or other trauma, dentists like Dr. Orro can replace their tissues with prosthetics or restorative dentistry. Notably, dental restorations may be used to rebuild a portion of a tooth. In turn, the natural tooth is preserved, and extraction or the removal of the tooth is avoided. Or, a tooth that cannot be preserved may be replaced. The sooner that you can replace the tooth, the better off you will be; destructive bone loss is just one of many consequences of tooth loss. When the jawbone does not receive the stimulation it needs from the teeth to stay strong, it can shrink or “resorb.” Your facial tissues and muscles then lose their structural support, also causing functional problems to worsen.
Restorations to rebuild teeth
As an experienced provider of advanced dental techniques and technologies, Dr. Orro can rebuild your broken, decayed, or injured tooth with restorations that are indistinguishable from natural and healthy teeth. These options include:
- Tooth-colored fillings for smaller cavities made from a dental composite
- Dental inlays to repair larger cavities and areas of decay
- Dental onlays (“partial crowns”), a conservative alternative to full crowns
- “Same-day” CEREC crowns, made while you wait, from a durable and esthetic ceramic
Prosthetics to replace teeth
Not all severely or deeply damaged or decayed teeth can be preserved with crowns, root canal therapy, or other specialized treatments. In these cases, Dr. Orro may recommend:
- Dental bridges, including cantilever bridges to replace the front teeth
- Precision, perfectly color-matched partial bridges for those with some remaining, healthy teeth
- Full or complete upper and lower dentures, which are made to fit the contours and other characteristics of your mouth and face perfectly
- Temporary or immediate dentures, placed during the same appointment as any extractions
We are also happy to discuss alternatives to “conventional” bridges and dentures. Implants can be used to support or stabilize a single replacement tooth or a full denture. Sometimes, existing dentures may even be “retrofitted” with implants to optimize the fit and comfort of the patient’s replacement teeth.
Do you have gaps in your smile? Are you unhappy with your current dentures? Are you holding on to aching, failing teeth? Call us! Our office in Lancaster, CA, can be reached at (661) 943-2938.
We welcome your questions and are privileged to support the health and well-being of our neighbors in Palmdale, Quartz Hill, Rosamond, Antelope Acres, Pearblossom, Leona Valley, and surrounding communities.